What is it?
A Flow Chart: Deployment provides a graphic representation of the work path or sequence of activities that comprise a process and the people involved in each step.
When is it used?
Flow Chart: Deployments are used to obtain clarity and communicate process flow and responsibilities.
Where is it used?
Flow Chart: Deployments are often used, but not limited to steps 1, 3, 5 and 8 of the PDSA – Probletunity Improvement Process.
Why is it used?
Flow Chart: Deployments:
• have all the benefits of Standard Flowcharts.
• help everyone involved in a process see how their responsibilities relate to the whole process.
• highlight customer/supplier relationships within the process.
Use a Flow Chart: Deployment:
• with students, instead of planning lessons for them.
• to see the process for completing a learning project.
• to show the purchasing process.
• to show training procedures.
• with students to create the process for a field trip.
- Name the process and write the name at the top of a flip chart.
- Develop an intent or purpose statement for the process and write this under the title.
- Clearly define the boundaries and level of detail. Decide where and/or when to start and stop.
- Identify the cast of characters; people involved in the process. List these across the top of the chart under the statement of purpose.
- Observe and record the process in operation. Use sticky notes to list each of the major steps in the process. One step on each sticky note.
- Use the simple symbols to construct the flow of the process by placing sticky notes in the process order.
- Connect the symbols with a line. Each line has an arrow pointing to the following step symbol in the process.
- Check for accuracy, completeness, consistency and detail.
- Study the Flow Chart. Collect data and determine how, where, when, etc., the process can be improved.
- It may be necessary to add dashed vertical lines to better identify the tasks for which each person is responsible. These lines are often called swim lanes.
Used with permission from: Dr. Myron Tribus Deployment Flow Charting Quality & Productivity, Inc., ASIN: B00072FLOG